Tuesday, January 29, 2008

My Own Little Concert...

We have a little bedtime ritual:
I yell and yell more until the kids
  1. take baths
  2. put lotion on
  3. dress in jammies
  4. brush teeth
  5. read scriptures
  6. say prayers
  7. read three books (always three.)
  8. sing two songs (always two.)
At this point, they beg and plead for all sorts of special treatment: the light on, more water, a Popsicle, cookies, etc. (Um...No.)

So tonight Ya Ya chose "I've got a little candlelight" for her song (pretty much knew that one was coming. Is there ever another choice??)
Jake usually chooses a primary song.
But not tonight. His choice on this historic day (surely something historical happened?) was

AMERICA. Yep. America. (Who knows why...)


So, I cleared my throat, collected my pitch and started singing.
"Oh beautiful, for spacious skies..." At one point, I got a little choked up. I usually do in that song. Jake didn't catch it though, and I made it through. ;-)

Quiet.

YIPEEE! They are asleep! And I successfully did it with my "Mormon Tabranacle Choir" rendition of AMERICA!

And then a sweet little voice said, "Mom, I just love your voice!" HAHA!! I didn't know if I should laugh or cry. How sweet is that?

6 comments:

Rachel said...

first of all, i am so happy to hear i'm not the only one who yells at my kids to get the bedtime routine done.

second of all, HOW SWEET! and I know what you mean about not knowing if you should laugh or cry.

thanks for sharing; i love this story!

The Lund Five said...

That seems like a nice little routine. Our routine just consists of putting on pajamas, brushing teeth, saying prayers, and going to bed. Also, you do have a good singing voice.

The Carter Family: said...

That is really cute. We purposefully don't sing songs at bedtime because I don't want to give the kids nightmares from listening to my singing voice. Thank goodness your kids should have sweet dreams because your singing voice is good!

Craig Lifferth said...

Who said it? Jake or Ya Ya? You do have a great voice. Remember I got the music in me, I got the music in me, I got the music in me!! Good times, good times..

All About M.E.('s) said...

Awww, that is really cute. What sweet little kids. They are lucky to have a mom with a good voice. My poor kids habe to suffer through something that resembles more of a sick duck than a singing voice.

Kati said...

You do have a GREAT voice! I remember! Lucky lucky kids.
Kati