Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Fancy Nancy and others..

Upon recommendation, I picked up a few of these books at the library today.I was laughing...outloud. They were so darn funny. I think I will buy some of these for Ya Ya's birthday. The illustrations are what make this book! If you have girls, you will LOVE these books! (I feel like a segment of Reading Rainbow!)

I love to read. And thankfully, my kids received that trait from me. Jeff is still working on "How to Win Friends and Influence People." It was a requirement for a class he took in college...almost 8 years ago. He just doesn't enjoy reading. But we all do. In fact, my kids really don't play with toys - they read books. Our books are trashed. Not that they abuse them, they just use them. We have a few personal favorites:



I am a SUCKER for rhyming books. I love them! This one is perfect!! I love the illustrations, the humor and the drama...of bath time. This book, unfortunately, is in the trash. Someone (nameless child, starts with a J and ends with an ake) had a temper tantrum and ripped it..page by page - knowing it was my favorite. He got in trouble...big time. He couldn't touch, read, smell or look at books for one week. And it was torture for him. But we will be buying it again. Only when he earns it back.This is another favorite. It now has a sequel - Pirates Don't Change Diapers. I don't think it's as cute, but worth the read.

So what are your favorite stories?

10 comments:

Craig Lifferth said...

Butterfly in the sky, I can go twice as high
Take a look, it's in a book - Reading Rainbow.
I can go anywhere!
Friends to know and ways to grow - Reading Rainbow.
I can be anything!
Take a look, it's in a book - Reading Rainbow.
Reading Rainbow, Reading Rainbow, Reading Rainbow, Reading Rainbow!

Zachary said...

I think it is hilarious that to punish your child you take away books. Oh odd.

"How To Win Friends" is one of the best books I have ever read about dealing with people.

As for favorite books...Jake is almost to the age where he should read anything by Gary Paulsen. His Uncle Scott had "The Hatchet" and "The River". I had "Dogsong" (which is the best of the three).

For Ya Ya, look into the book, "Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots?" I bought copies of that for all my nieces. Very cute book.

Crazy Lifferths said...

I was at my friend's house a couple weeks ago and she has a little girl and just had bought the book for her. She showed it to me...DARLING! The graphics were so cute. Tub Toys in the garbage...ah man! By the way Zach, seeing as Ya Ya is DEFINITELY a princess, that is a perfect book. Seeing how it is so perfect, Mimi bought it for her a long time ago! The Usborne books have an INCREDIBLE collection of princess AND pirate books. WOW...long comment...

Kati said...

We love the fancy Nancy books! They are so great!

I am so impressed with your bows! Great job!

Love all your new posts. I got your email...I will let you know as soon as I get it done for you.
Kati

The Lund Five said...

Emma got Fancy Nancy for Christmas and I agree that is a cute book. I love any book illustrated by Audry Wood like "Piggies." I just love kids books. We have tons!

All About M.E.('s) said...

One of the benefits of my mom being a school teacher is that she seems to know all of the good children's books. So, thanks to her we have been introduced to MANY good ones. Some of my favorites are Stand Tall Molly Lou Mellon, Parts, More Parts, Because Your Daddy Loves You, The Napping House, Do Princesses Really Kiss Frogs and Fancy Nancy. I'm also a sucker for rhyming books. Cute post!

Smiley Family said...

I have always been such a big fan of children's books. I had a collection before I was even pregnant with Ashlyn. Some of my favorites have already been metioned, but I also really like some of the old classis: Make Way For The Ducklings, the Harry The Dog series, and good ol' Dr. Seuss. Another all time favorite is Pickle-Chiffon Pie. I'll have to check out Tub Toys

Becca said...

Thanks for all the great book ideas. We love books too! I have noticed that kids who like to read have better grammer skills. We are lucky to have a librarian (Grandma Johnson) in our family who shares fun books with us.

whitney said...

We're big, big book fans in our house too. Ever since he was a baby, Ezra would just sit and read w/me forever! Anyway, right now we're into anything Dr. Seuss, especially Green Eggs and Ham and The Sneetches. I'll have to look into the ones you mentioned-thanks for the tips!

Gretch said...

I've heard about those Fancy Nancy books, everyone raves about them. I guess it is time for me to see what the hype is.

So here are some of my favorites right now. Clap Your Hands, it is a great one for younger kids, very active. I love My Many Colored Days by Dr. Seuss. Sitting Ducks is really cute. If You Give a Pig a Pancake and The Kissing Hand are all good as well.

You should make Ya Ya's birthday a Fancy Nancy party. My friend did one and I hear it was a hit.