Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Circus...Oh what fun...

Brilliant Idea #1: Take our kids to the circus.
Brilliant Idea #2: Take them at 7 PM.

Maybe we aren't so brilliant after all!
We thought it would be fun to take our sweet children to the circus. The last time we went to the circus was in Mexico (which, by the way, was completely humorous. Our favorite moment was when the workers pulled the cable to raise the net for the trapeze artists and hit the guy in front of us. He rubbed his head for a long time. I was thinking law suit, he was thinking he paid too much for the circus!) Anyway, back to THIS circus. We prepared the children - we would be purchasing NOTHING extra. No light up things, no rides on the elephant, no overpriced candy etc. This lasted all of three minutes until the cotton candy guy came. Jake actually brought his own money, so we had to say yes. We watch the rides in the center ring go on far longer than they should have. The show began. It seemed interesting, but I wouldn't know. I was sick. I ran to the ladies room SEVEN times in the first half. All I wanted to do was go home. I tried to convince the children, but they wouldn't go. And I wasn't sure I would make it to the car anyway.

Then the light swords came out! "MOM I WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!"
"No Jake."
WAHHH!!
I said nope.
More crying.

Intermission came. A SMART parent would say, "Oh, it's over!" But I didn't think about that. I was too busy running to the restroom. I finally thought of it when I noticed the people behind me saying to their non-suspecting children, "what a great circus!" By then, it was too late. They knew there would be more. But we had to wait 45 minutes while the circus charged parents ridiculous prices to ride the smelly elephant, camels and pony's.
At this point, Jake is BEGGING for a drink. Jeff went to take him to the drinking fountain...and came back with a soda, Butterfinger and licorice. I was too sick to argue his decision.

Finally, the show went on - but not for long! The show lasted about 15 minutes. The coolest part was the elephants. Everyone loves elephants! Well, except Addy. She kept pulling the hair on the lady in front of us.
See those empty seats? That tells you what kind of circus we went to... Those empty seats probably belonged to the smart parents who took their kids to Chuckee Cheese instead. It's much cheaper, just as many germs and kids seem happier there. But I don't recall any elephants...hmmm.
Finally the DA#$ circus was over. We exit the center, we lost Ya Ya's shoe, socks and hairbow because she didn't want to wear them. All three children are now crying (over tired, cold and didn't get a DA#$ sword). What a fabulous outing together as a family. Bet you wish you could have come!!!
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

patshala said...

How hilarious! This is all helpful information to me as a new mom. I will remember to use the intermission as an early exit of a late show. That was a really cute picture of your little girl!

Gretch said...

LOL! Sorry I'm laughing-I can just picture the whole evening. Don't you hate all the enticing crap that they try to sell you and of course they make it SO obvious to the kids. Way to stay strong, well except for Jeff caving.

SOOO sorry you were so sick. Are you pregnant? :) No really that would be horrible to be sick and dealing with a circus-all the smells-and of course the crying kids. I hope you are feeling better.

Cute pictures!

Craig Lifferth said...

Ha I loved well I'm sorry but 8 cavities is pretty funny! I love the part of Jeff getting a drink with Jake but comes back "with a soda, Butterfinger and licorice." All that might all add up to 8 cavities over time.

Sydney said...

I think I would have made my kids stay until the last second. With the money it costs, the parking, the crowds, etc. Oh yeah, we would have sat there enjoying every last second......good thing we live in a small town with no options like that.

sorry you were sick, that's not any fun!