As room mom, we are asked to go on the field trips with the class. This fall, the class went up the canyon to collect leafs. As I hugged Jake good night the evening before the trip, he whispered, "I can't wait till tomorrow, we are going on a field trip! Just you and me."
Oh how sweet. I couldn't wait either.
I sent him on the bus the next morning and waited for Karalee to come. She was kind to watch my girls while I went. I hurried down to the school to start the field trip. That sweet moment the night before was quickly forgotten:
Me: "Jake, come sit by me."
Jake: "No Thanks. I am going to sit by my friends"
We boarded the bus. Up comes Mrs. Mac, another first grade teacher and her trusty, MEGAPHONE. She promptly starts the first graders on a collage of songs starting with "The Wheels on the Bus" and continued for the next 45 minutes. Not to mention my neighbor went with me. She sat on the seat in front on me and "screamed" her side of the conversation as to be heard over the MEGAPHONE. It was a LONG trip up the canyon.
We FINALLY arrived at our location where we were greeted by the ranger. He gave a short presentation about Forrest fires. Then we saw a special visitor!
Mr. Smoky the Bear, himself! He walked out really cautious and slow. Apparently, last year, he walked out too fast, tripped over a rock and his head rolled off. It was real traumatic for the children. I wish that I went last year!
After our visit with Smoky, we went for a hike to collect leaves. The children were supposed to pick up items that relate to fall. Jake mostly picked up pine cones...
After the leaf collecting, we ate our lunch.
Me: "Jake, come and eat by me!"
Jake: "No Thanks..."
Jake paid $1.50 for his lunch of a turkey sandwich, apple, carrots, crackers, OJ and milk. I paid $2.50 for the exact same lunch except my sandwich had lettuce. I think I got ripped off.
After lunch we played field games. I was the smart one and brought water. As I drank my water, about 20 first graders asked if they could have a drink. What do I say? I see how hot and thirsty they are. So I graciously take one last sip and give the water to the vultures. I didn't have another drink, even though I wanted one!
We boarded the bus home. My little group wanted to sit in the front row. All was well until Mrs. Mac boarded the bus with her DA*& MEGAPHONE. Again. There was only one open seat left. Guess where? Right next to me! OH JOY! That's when the singing began again. I wanted to take that MEGAPHONE and jam it down her throat. But I thought that might be rude.
When we arrived at the school, my head was pulsing and the pain jarred down my spine. I quickly took Advil and a nap upon arrival at my nice, QUIET home.
I discovered two things today:
One: I have a very independent child. He loves me AND he loves his friends.
Two: I could never, ever, EVER be a bus driver OR a first grade teacher. Kudos to you ambious people that are... You are the true heros.
5 comments:
LOL! Loved that story. Can't wait to hear what happens when you head off to the zoo in the spring. That should be a riot.
I am so glad Smokey's head didn't fall off. I am also glad to know that Jake makes it to school once in a while:)
I love Jake stories...especially when they involve megaphones.
You are a better person than me. After one field trip with Ryker's class I haven't volunteered again....and there was no Megaphone!
oh man, when i read that story of Smokeys head falling off i was laughing soooooo hard...oh man that is so funny, i can only picture all these little kids freaking out and crying .. "smokey! Smokey!" ha ha ha, oh good one
Yeah...the smokey story was pretty classic. Sorry about the megaphone. I don't love them even from a distance :P
Post a Comment