Thursday, October 23, 2008

Back up - Smack Up...

I am so sad, I could cry. Scratch that - I AM crying!

So, my external hard drive quit working on Monday. I took it into the Geek Squad who said it was shot. Great. Last time I backed up was the start of 2008. I knew that my current photos and videos were nice and safe on my internal hard drive. (Which, thankfully, they are.) But not 2007's stuff.

No problem. My back up disk is near by. Except I just inserted it...and guess what. NOTHING is there. It must not have recorded anything. I didn't bother doing a back up of the back up of the back up because nothing that serious happens to me, nor did I check the disk because I already had a back up (external drive) .

It just hit me about 3 minutes ago: Child #3's birth photos, baby photos and videos were all on that damn drive. How do I explain that to my only non-J child, my only child without brown eyes and the one that already has a "picked on" complex that I, her some-what-techno-savvy mother that I just erased her entire first year! I am so sad I think I might be sick.

I am going to pray one more time that I am given 5 minutes to get that drive to work. It's the only chance I have to redeem myself as a mother.

Now go hug your computer and do a back up today.

9 comments:

Craig Lifferth said...

I know your pain. It happened to me a few months ago. I'll just call you in the morning.

All About M.E.('s) said...

Yikes. That is so incredibly horrible that I am at a loss for words. Except that hopefully your family took some pictures of the important events of 2007?
So so so so sorry! I will back up asap.

Monica Lifferth said...

Now I'm crying too! That is awful! Thanks for the warnining. I'll be doing mine today. Sooo sad Jen. I have some pictures of your kids with Santa from last year. So sorry.

Crazy Lifferths said...

That is terrible! I can't believe you named her an A name and now erased her life of 2007! JK...I know how bad that sucks. Remember when we took our comp into the Geek Squad and they erased everything on our computer because we signed that lame paper and didn't read the small print?!! Yea...that made me sick!

Zachary said...

Oh Jen...I've been there. I lost most of 1998 through 2002 to a similar situation. I hope you are able to salvage something!

Gretch said...

SO SAD!!! I'll say a prayer for you too. I REALLY hope you can restore it!

I also worry about my 2 younger girls not having as much memory stuff as Paige did. *Remember Paige's "announcement DVD"

Rachel said...

Oh Jen, I'm so sorry! And I can absolutely feel your pain. We have two CPU's sitting in our office that I just haven't given up on yet. I know, just KNOW that someone out there has a computer salvaging super power yet to be discovered.

Keep the faith sista!

Smiley Family said...

NOOOOOO! That is horrible! I am so sorry for you. I can feel only 1/12 of your pain since I lost all of June this summer, and I thought that was bad! At least you have all the pics on your blog!!

Hokanson said...

I'm so sorry Jen. I'm going to hug my computer and do a back up right now. I hope you get it to work.