Friday, October 03, 2008

A few of my favorites...

I have discovered a few items in the past few months that I would like to share with you. Keep in mind, I don't sell any of these products, so it isn't a sales pitch. Buy em, try em, or not. Whatever.

First up:Man, oh man! GOOD STUFF. Recently tried it; recently addicted. I love their chicken, Tostada Salad and their Burritos. Their chips and salsa are to die for. So if you haven't gone, go. It's amazing. You won't be disappointed. To find a location near you, click here.

Second:
My kind-of new washer.
I'm not bragging about this beauty. I saved up a WHOLE year to purchase this baby. I can do my entire weeks laundry in only 4 loads. Plus, it has a timer. I can put a load in at night time, select my timer for 5 am and have a clean batch ready in the morning to put in the dryer. I am that much ahead of my day. Now if only I put all that "extra" time to use! I do have one buyers regret: I didn't buy the steam option. I was too practical. I kind of wish I would have, but then again, it was a lot more money. And since I was paying for it, I went with the lower cost model. I love this machine. The only downfall is more laundry wash=more laundry put away. And I hate that job.

Third:

I love to exercise, I really do. I do it everyday. But I hate, hate HATE going to a gym. I loved it in my younger years, but now they are far too inconvenient and I get too self-conscious around people who act like they know what they are doing. I hate taking that much time on myself. I can give me about 45 minutes a day, but no more. Gym time usually takes about an hour and a half. Too much for me.

So I discovered Podfitness.comFor about $5 a week you can have a personal trainer! I have trained with the same trainer as Brad Pitt. Can you say that?

You select what type of program you want: cardio, running, weights, Cross training, biking, swimming, etc, then you select the trainer you want. The progam automatcially adds your music to the voice of the trainer. Then you download it to your ipod and start your program! You select the track and the trainer starts to tell you what to do, "Okay Jennifer, let's get your heart rate going. Start at a level 3 on an indoor track for 5 minutes." She/he will even give you encouragement.

"One foot in front of the other, you can do it!"
"You should be slightly out of your comfort zone. This is where the change happens!"
"One more set, you can do it!"

But my personal favorite: "That completes your podfitness workout Jennifer! Go grab your self a protein shake and we will see you tomorrow." (Will peanut butter work?)
They even have a 10 day free trial period. So if you need help with your workout and would like a personal trainer, go here. I admit, I only paid for 90 days. I organized over 20 workouts. You can cancel at anytime and you get to keep what programs you make. I love it.

Fouth:

Last April, I was visiting with a cousin who told me she uses cloth diapers. What? ARE YOU NUTS?

But, I have been converted.

Did you know that over 27 billion disposable diapers are sold then put into landfills in the US?
It is estimated that disposable diapers take 250 years to decompse.
Did you know that you spend over $65 a month on diapers that are thrown away? - that's $1,600 by the time your child is two.

First off, they are not the diapers our parents used. These are cute, comfy and very functional.
Now, I am not expecting you to love the idea. It takes some getting used to. But I couldn't help but feel guilty everytime I threw away a diaper. Plus, we added it up. After we purchased our set, we anticipate that we will save over $900 if Addy uses them until she is two and a half.

We LOVE these diapers. My washer (see above) cleans them beautifully. I simply rinse in cold water, wash in "sanitary" mode, do an extra rinse and dry. They have no oder or staining. I have two favorites, bumgenius and fuzzibunz. We haven't had any leaks or any problems with the quality. They are expensive to buy at first; each diaper runs about $17. But it's worth it if I can help preserve our environment. Okay, and the extra savings is a great incentive too.

Jeff is semi-on board. He will use them if I promise to clean the messy ones out. And he REFUSES to use these while out-and-about.

I highly recommend going cloth. And I am not nuts. Just consider it.



So these are a few of my new favorite things. Take it for what it is worth!



7 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

Interesting! I am very jealous of your new washer. I have been trying to talk Marty into one of these and a matching dryer;)-maybe someday? But, I heard that a regular washing machine uses 40+ gallons of water per load and these new ones only use around 15. Crazy. Especially when I think that our trailer has about a 40 gallon fresh water tank and we can live off of that for a few days when we are camping. But we can use 5 times that amount in a mere day of doing laundry at home. Kind of makes me sick to think about it that way!
And, the diaper thing is really something to think about. It also makes me a little sick to think about landfills full of diapers that are on the slow boat to CHina when it comes to decomposing. Yikes!

Zachary said...

Well...your first item is the only one that really interested me:) No need for diapers...washers or fitness:) But I LOVE El Pollo. I hope they come back with their Lime Chicken. It is FANTASTIC!

Crazy Lifferths said...

You probably dont need anymore,but if you are interested, I just saw on a friend's blog that bumgenius diapers are on sale for 12 bucks with no shipping at Amazon. Love ya!

whitney said...

No need to stay up worrying at night, I don't think you're nuts. I know a bunch of people who cloth diaper...I'm just sooo not one of them. I blame it on their allergy diet's horrible frequent messy diapers. I'm just not man enough.

Other than that-I LOVE the washer and am truly jealous.

Craig Lifferth said...

I might need to get Daren a few pairs. He seems to be wetting his pants around the apartment and those might just help him out. Love ya.

Sydney said...

Um, I kindof think your crazy. Cloth diapers? Really?
I'll change my lightbulbs and use a reusable shopping bag but I draw the line at having to rinse my child's poop out in the toilet and then stick them in the same washer that my clothes are washed in.....shiver.

I have that washer {have being used loosely since it's in storage} and love it! My water bill was next to nothing and I loved it for that.

I'm totally going to check out the podfitness, that sounds so cool. I'm always game for Mexican food so I'll check that out too....you want to meet me there?

The Hafen Family said...

HMMMMM, I too have that washer and love it. I must say the 'sanitary' cycle is a blessing for potty training. However, not ready to give up on Huggies.

Here's a tip: don't change the diaper until it hangs just below the knees and the child starts waddling (around 5pm). A real money saver!