Saturday, January 22, 2011

Surprise! It's a GIRL!

Every life starts with a story - some are exciting, some are scary but all are special. There is nothing - NOTHING as special as bringing a sweet baby into the world. They bring all sorts of emotion: excitement, joy, happiness, sorrow (cause it might be my last), pain (cause it hurts!) and exhaustion. And through it all, I am overwhelmed with happiness that I am allowed to care for this new little being, teach her right from wrong, make sure she knows she is a valued person with talents and strengths, then release her into the world to make a name for herself. It's an overwhelming resposibility, but one that I wouldn't trade for anything in the world.

Alyssa Evelyn Wright's story begins Friday, January 14, 2011. I was feeling a little anxious since I was only one week from the due date. This wouldn't bother most people - but I have never been this "late" and the doctor was convinced I would be early. Also, Jake's birthday was on Sunday and we were going to dinner to celebrate that evening. There was no school that day, so I took the children to Nickel City. Jake was sick that day but still went. We ended up going to dinner that evening and finished the evening watching the final movie of the Borne series. I guess I must have had a feeling because I thought, "I should take a photo of myself in case I go into labor."
And so I did - and my brother Scott joined me. (Yes, one of us is a lot bigger than the other!) This photo was taken at 1:15 a.m. on January 15th - a few minutes before I went into labor.

There were three things I didn't want to happen with baby #4:
1. I didn't want a middle of the night labor
2. I have 5 doctors in our group. I like all but one. I didn't want this ONE particular doctor
3. I didn't want a baby one day before or one day after Jake's birthday.

Guess who successfully managed to get all she didn't want?!

So I woke up at 2 am exactly with my water broken. We quickly got ready to head to the hospital, thinking it would be a very quick delivery like baby #3. Luckily, this labor was a little slower and allowed for a little down time as compared to baby #3! This time, it pretty much mirrored Juliana's birth - almost to the minute!

Anyway, we headed to the hospital at 2:15 a.m. It just so happen to be thick fog the entire way. We finally arrived and I quickly requested an epidural. I received one around 3 a.m. Once that happened, it was smooth sailing! ;) It was then that I realized that the one doctor I don't like would be the one that would deliver. I held on hope that maybe this baby would wait until 6 a.m. when the doctor would be replaced with the one I wanted.
Ryan came to visit and he and Jeff took a long nap - pretty much until it was time!
At 5:30, the nurse came and it said it was time! I was so excited - but of course, we couldn't wait until the doctor change at six!! I would just have to live with "Mr. Personality" as my doctor. Bummer.

We didn't find out the gender with this baby. I was SURE (without a doubt) that this baby was a boy. I just knew it - in fact, my motherly instincts told me so! I was also a little sad when she said it was time. I think this might be my last. And I love to be pregnant. So with mixed emotions, the time came.

At 5:47, after four or five pushes, a darling little baby arrived. It seemed to take an eternity because the cord was wrapped around it's neck three times. In slow motion, I kept asking, "What is it?" but no one responded (because no one could tell yet!) Finally (although it was less than two seconds) the nurse yelled, "It's a girl!" To which I replied, "Are you SURE?" But I saw for myself: we had a beautiful, tiny baby girl!
With lots of hair too! She weighed in at 7 lbs, 6oz and 20 inches long - my biggest baby yet!


After cleaning her up, they delivered her to her dad so he could be the first to meet her.
And FINALLY they let me meet her too! (You know what bothered me? And I blame the doctor! With all my other babies, the doctor places the baby on my chest and lets me see them first. One doctor let me hold the baby even before they measured and cleaned her. This doctor just wisked her away and it took ten minutes before I could see her! In fact, I asked the nurse twice if I could please just see the baby! But the wait was worth it - it was love at first sight!)
She is absolutely perfect!!!
I couldn't keep my hands off of her sweet, soft little face.
Then Mimi got to hold her.
It was a long, long night. Papa wanted to be there too, but he was out of town for a conference. He came on his way back from the airport at 8 am. He spent the day holding her while Jeff and I slept.
Then it was time for the sisters to meet the newest little sister. When Addy came into the room, the nurse was there. She asked the nurse if she was now the big sister! SO PROUD!
Our other little mother fell in love with her sister too!

We spent the entire day going through names. I am noncommittal (in case you didn't know!) and names are hard for me, REALLY hard! We went through Analise, Annie, Kate (which I LOVED) and Alyssa. I'm happy with Alyssa, but I kind of just let Jeff decide at the last minute because I was tired of thinking of a name. Alyssa fits her, even if it took me a few days to remember her name! (Don't worry - I remember it now!) I guess that is why people name their babies before they come!
The girls came to pick us up around five p.m. and we got ready to head home to the chaos and mess of the compound!
We only stayed at the hospital for one day - Jake's birthday was the next day and I didn't want to miss it. I then spent an entire two weeks in my pajamas (best advice ever!) and enjoyed holding my beautiful new newborn - because they are only little once!

8 comments:

Kati said...

SHE is beautiful, and so are you! My word girl...you don't even look like you had a baby! No fair.

Your family is adorable and I am so happy for you. Sounds like you are enjoying every minute. It goes by too fast, as I am sure you already know :)
Congratulations to you!

Craig Lifferth said...

Loved the post, but I think I love Alyssa more!!

rsheedy said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you and your cute family. She is absolutely adorable!!

Rachel said...

Duuuuude! Look how amazing you look at one day postpartum!

Congratulations. I loved this post. It so beautifully articulates the emotions involved. Though I cannot relate (like, at all) to the sentiment that you loved being pregnant, I totally get the rest of the emotions. Nothing. NOTHING is better than a new baby in the home. SO HAPPY for you!!! She is simply precious.

Zachary said...

Congratulations Jen! She really is a beautiful little girl!

Monica Lifferth said...

I've been waiting for this post. You really wrote it out well. What an emotional beautiful day. She's gorgeous. Congrats guys!

The Carter Family: said...

Congratulations!! She is so cute and I can't wait to meet her! I'm glad you are taking the time to sit around and hold her...time does go by way tooo fast!!

Oh, Sweet!... said...

Congratulations Jen!!! You look amazing and your little Alyssa is beautiful! I'm so happy for you! My son was born the day after me and it's fun 'sharing' a birthday!