Thursday, June 26, 2008

BBQ and Relationships.

Summer is fabulous, isn't it??

It is until you go to BBQ. Then the trouble begins.

I am pretty picky about my steak. It should be good, high quality meat marinaded in a sweet/spciy blend then grilled to perfection.
The BBQ scenario at our home is actually quite comical: Jeff hates to cook. His interest pipes, however, as I head to the deck to place steak on the BBQ. Then it becomes a knock-down race to see who gets to cook it. Don't kid yourself - he doesn't BBQ because he ENJOYS it, he does it because he hates the way I cook steak.

I firmly believe that steak should be cooked to a medium-well state. Juices from a piece of cut steak does not mean it is still moo-ing. It means it is cooked to perfection. A little red, but not too red = melt in your mouth taste, right?

I happen to be married to someone who prefers his steak not only WELL DONE, but he prefers black, crisp and hard-as-rock-meat. Jerky.
So, we place the meat on the BBQ (I always cook it about 5 minutes longer than necessary), I pull off the meat and let it sit for a few minutes. (A good cook always rests her meat.) He promptly grabs a knife and cuts away...

"Hmmm.... Hmm... This meat isn't done."

At this point, I have to grab my piece of meat from the platter before it is burned to charcoal and wait another 25 minutes so he can "cook" his steak.

You would think after 10 years of marriage I could overlook this small fetish of his steak preference. But it DRIVES ME CRAZY. Sometimes, I would like to grab his "WELL DONE" piece of jerky and step on it.

Due to tension, we will now be BBQ-ing hot dogs for the remainder of the summer.

7 comments:

All About M.E.('s) said...

Sounds like Marty and I-only reversed. If I am going to be forced to eat a steak, it must be burnt to a crisp. Marty, on the other hand, likes blood oozing out of his. Disgusting. We should get together for a BBQ-misery loves company :)

Zachary said...

So I read this post before I went to bed last night. I spent the entire night dreaming of cooking meat. Hour after hour I was cutting open steaks to see how far along they were.

I am with you...medium or medium-well is perfect.

Smiley Family said...

Sorry Jen, but I am going to have to side with Jeff on this one :)

whitney said...

I'm w/you Jen. Give me just a juicy, pink steak anytime. Mmmm. Unfortuntely, Spencer's more of a burnt-to-a-crisp sort of guy himself :P

Craig Lifferth said...

I'm with you Jen. The steak needs a little blood and juice coming out of it. I'm not paying for jerky!

Becca said...

Jeff gets my vote on this one. I can't stand to see any type of pink on a steak. Anyways your story was funny. Have fun eating hot dogs!

The Lund Five said...

Sorry Jen, like the majority of the comments on this post I am with Jeff on this one. I like my steak Well Done.