Thursday, August 23, 2007

Summer Book Report

And you wonder WHY I haven't been blogging!


One thing that I REFUSE to give up as a mother is reading. Books are a serious addiction - I can not put them down once I start! Nothing gets accomplished, children are ignored and food is forgotten - but at least I get to read! I obviously have more time to read on vacation than I do at home. But once in awhile at home, I pick up a good book and read, read, read away even though I usually have screaming kids roaring around me! So here is my summer book report:1776 - I give it 3 stars. This is one of the rare books I have NOT yet finished. (I found a few others that took presidence!) I will, however, finish this book someday. I was awestruck by the courage, the strength and humility of General George Washington. I would place him in my top five people I wish to meet someday. He led his armies with such grace and dignity. I was also awestruck with the courage of our Founding Fathers. It was apparent throughout the book that the guidence of "Divine Providence" established our great country though "circumstances" that allowed passage or victory of the Continental Army. The stories are amazing. I loved the History presented in this book. I will be going to Boston to pick up my brother Daren in a couple of weeks. It was exciting to read up on my history.
I
Eragon - About 3 stars. I thought this book was interesting. It is a 3-part serious (which I hate because then you are hooked!) I think the author is a genius - he wrote this book when he was 15 years old! I do think, however, he is a very immature writer that should progress with time. Eragon seems to hang on the coattails of books/movies like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter. It is about a boy who was destined to become a dragon rider. His adventures take him throughout a fictional country and through extremely exhausting adventures (they never seemed to end!) This book should not be considered an "easy read" - it has a lengthly 600 pages! But it is very entertaining and I will be reading the other two books soon.

Twilight - 5 STARS!!!

Loved, loved, loved this book! I could not put it down. I had heard about the craze and I fell victim to it as well! This story boarders "cheesy" but it so creative and different! It is about a girl that moves to a small town in Washington. She meets and falls for a vampire who thirsts for her blood (and just so happens to CRAVE her blood...I thought that was cheesy.) But I was soon caught up in the story and couldn't put it down. Highly entertaining and exciting. I would recommend this book - but be prepared with book 2 and 3 - you will want to pick them up the minute you finish this book.

Eat Cake - 4 stars. This is an "easy read." But sooo charming! It made me want to hurry home and bake a cake. It's about a lady who loves to bake. She suddenly finds her life upside down -her husband lost his job, her mother moved in with her and her father (who is hated by her mother) broke both wrists and needs care. She finds herself baking cake daily to deal with her stress. Then finds she can create a business with her talents. This book is both motivational and humorous. I loved it.

I actually read "Vanishing Acts" by the same author on the way home from Montana. That story is interesting. But this story is controversial and addicting. I am actually on page 178 and can't put it down. It's about a couple that had two children. Kate, the youngest, is diagnosed with Leukemia. The parents decide to genetically create a third child that will be a match for Kate and will donate bone marrow to help Kate survive. The story takes place as Anna (child #3) is 13. She sues her parents because she doesn't want to give her kidney to save Kate. The thing I love about this author is she writes a story from different perspectives. You can easily understand and feel for each characters point of view. I HIGHLY recommend this book. At least at this point. It will be interesting to see what happens.

So, that explains it - the reason for not blogging weekly! I am behind on just about everything, but at least I have enjoyed my summer of reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BOOKWORM!! Sorry sis but i always knew you were a bookworm but its ok, i am a bookworm also!! (Well, according to my peers at work) Well love ya sis

Kati said...

Jen...reading is the thing I miss the most. After that 3rd kid...I'm afraid reading is not happening at this house. I read a book on our vacation a few weeks ago. It felt so good to do something for myself for a change! I bought a bunch of new books and I am going to read! Ryan starts kindergarten too! I will have 2 1/2 hours everyday when both boys are in school and Haleigh is sleeping! I will be reading for sure!!!! My sis Staci is addicted to the Twightlight series too. She swears I will love them. That will be my first reads! Hey...Lets get together!
Later!
Kati