School came anyway - despite my prolonging summer. Jake was very excited to start. He woke up early and asked for a good breakfast to "make my brain work faster." We finished breakfast and got his cold lunch ready. Then we headed out to take back-to-school pictures.


He was ready too early - we ended up waiting at the bus stop for 25 minutes. He found plenty of snails to keep him busy.


In my attempt to easy his fears (that I was SURE he had), I handed him a rock that I had kissed. I told him to put it in his pocket in case he gets nervous - then he would carry a kiss from me around all day. (I had heard this idea from plenty of neighbors with older kids.) He promptly threw that down and said, "That's dumb Mom."
I tried.

For the second time in my life, I sent my baby off in the hands of someone else to give him love, assurance, care and education. For the second time, I cried for a little while. I don't think it will ever get easier.
He will always be my baby; even if he doesn't need a kiss in his pocket.
I know I sure did.
10 comments:
"That's dumb mom?" Oh, my gosh, that is too funny.
Lily goes to preschool next Wednesday. If I don't cry, am I a bad mom? :)
That is the funniest Jake story yet!
I have to tell you...when I first pulled up your blog and saw the snail pictures, I thought you were going to tell a story about Jake being slow getting ready for school. I was really hoping for another, "Jake...you look like a damn orphan!"
But the Kissed Rock story is just as good.
GROSS snails! They are huge and so yucky! Glad you made it through! It doesn't get any easier. At least it hasn't for me. It think it is hardest with your first though. Love the rock story! What a great kid. Just shows that he is secure and you have done a great job!
What cute pics. I can't believe you have snails like that! Sounds like Jake will do just fine in school.
I love the rock story from Jake. Those snails look awesome. I saw them all the time during my mission. Nice post sister!
I LOVE your pictures. You take some (a lot of) really good ones. I loved reading about all of your summer/end of summer adventures.
Good job going on the 7-peaks slide, I don't know if I would have dared. Cute rock story, I may use that one day-maybe girls would take to it better than boys?
Oh my, thank you so much for the laugh! That was a great way to end my day :) Maybe someday he will feel bad about that. Maybe.
Oh, and I hope Jake has a better teacher this year. You'll have to let us know.
Hey....do you want to get together sometime this week or next and have a play date with the girls and we can hang your vinyl sign in Jake's room?
Let me know if you are free...
Hee hee, great story! Cute Boy...know how you feel!
What a cutie! Good thing you have two adorable girls who still think you're cool!
Post a Comment