I have finally had my first "slow" week since the start of 2008. It has been so very nice to do nothing. Well, when I say "nothing", I don't exactly mean that. I still clean, cook, clean and cook like a good wifey. What I mean is we have had no plans this weekend. No trips planned or activities we must attend to.
"Ahhh", finally a sigh of relief! Don't get me wrong. I love, LOVE, LOOOVVE to have plans for the weekend. I love to say, "Oh, I am going to ____________ (fill in the blank). But I haven't been home for 4 weeks now and I am looking forward to just being home. I hope it doesn't sound like I am bragging. Because we aren't going to Maui, Florida or Spain (random places, I know.) We have just had plans to camp, hike or whatever within the great state of Utah. But not this weekend - I get to stay home!
Now to catch you up on our funny stories:
Jake's Kingergarten class created a special recipe book for their teacher Mrs G. They were, of course, hilarious. It reminded me of my own Kindergarten cook book. I chose to insert my favorite recipe: Mashed Potatoes. I recall I wrote something like, "Pour the potatoes from the box into the bowl. Add water." HAHA!! I don't know why my mother didn't die of embarrassment! Seriously, INSTANT potatoes? My mom's a good cook - I only remember eating instant potatoes a couple of times. I must have had them the night before the cook book publication! Anyway, back to Jake. His recipe is as follows:
Jake's Sugar Cookies:
1 gallon Sugar.... (now, do not blame us if the world has a sugar shortage after making this recipe!)
2 eggs
2 butter
Mix together. Get an ice cream scoop and scoop the dough on the cookie pan. Cook in a hot oven for a short while.
Actually, he wasn't too far off (well, except the absurd amount of sugar!)
He sat with me while I read all of the recipes. I was laughing at some entries. He would laugh along with me and say after each entry, "Caleb does NOT know how to cook.... That's a terrible recipe for a sandwich....Harrison doesn't make good hot dogs."
After awhile of his negative comments, I said, "Jake, you know, your recipe wasn't exactly right either."
His face got very concerned, ""But WHAT did I do wrong???"
(Now, I don't know about your house, but that is a sentence I NEVER hear here!)
I assured him that his recipe was fine - it wasn't intended for use in an actual cookbook. He didn't understand - so why would anyone ask for a recipe they don't intend to use?? He was now VERY concerned that Mrs G. might possibly use HIS recipe for sugar cookies and be very upset when they didn't turn out. He found my cookbook and asked to see our favorite sugar cookie recipe. He was thrilled when he found out that the recipe called for 2 eggs - he "got one part right!"
Then - get this - he COPIED the recipe to give to Mrs G! At least now she has a recipe that is valid!
I love this little guy!
"Ahhh", finally a sigh of relief! Don't get me wrong. I love, LOVE, LOOOVVE to have plans for the weekend. I love to say, "Oh, I am going to ____________ (fill in the blank). But I haven't been home for 4 weeks now and I am looking forward to just being home. I hope it doesn't sound like I am bragging. Because we aren't going to Maui, Florida or Spain (random places, I know.) We have just had plans to camp, hike or whatever within the great state of Utah. But not this weekend - I get to stay home!
Now to catch you up on our funny stories:
Jake's Kingergarten class created a special recipe book for their teacher Mrs G. They were, of course, hilarious. It reminded me of my own Kindergarten cook book. I chose to insert my favorite recipe: Mashed Potatoes. I recall I wrote something like, "Pour the potatoes from the box into the bowl. Add water." HAHA!! I don't know why my mother didn't die of embarrassment! Seriously, INSTANT potatoes? My mom's a good cook - I only remember eating instant potatoes a couple of times. I must have had them the night before the cook book publication! Anyway, back to Jake. His recipe is as follows:
Jake's Sugar Cookies:
1 gallon Sugar.... (now, do not blame us if the world has a sugar shortage after making this recipe!)
2 eggs
2 butter
Mix together. Get an ice cream scoop and scoop the dough on the cookie pan. Cook in a hot oven for a short while.
Actually, he wasn't too far off (well, except the absurd amount of sugar!)
He sat with me while I read all of the recipes. I was laughing at some entries. He would laugh along with me and say after each entry, "Caleb does NOT know how to cook.... That's a terrible recipe for a sandwich....Harrison doesn't make good hot dogs."
After awhile of his negative comments, I said, "Jake, you know, your recipe wasn't exactly right either."
His face got very concerned, ""But WHAT did I do wrong???"
(Now, I don't know about your house, but that is a sentence I NEVER hear here!)
I assured him that his recipe was fine - it wasn't intended for use in an actual cookbook. He didn't understand - so why would anyone ask for a recipe they don't intend to use?? He was now VERY concerned that Mrs G. might possibly use HIS recipe for sugar cookies and be very upset when they didn't turn out. He found my cookbook and asked to see our favorite sugar cookie recipe. He was thrilled when he found out that the recipe called for 2 eggs - he "got one part right!"
Then - get this - he COPIED the recipe to give to Mrs G! At least now she has a recipe that is valid!
I love this little guy!

2 comments:
A gallon of sugar? Eight cavities? Huh it's all coming together now.
That's hilarious! I love your mashed potatoes recipes, I'm sure your mom lovvved that one. As for Jake's sugar cookie recipe, as cute as it is, it's not quite as cute as the fact that he then wanted to provide an actual recipe for his teacher. That's fabulous!
Post a Comment