Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Jake's Photo Shoot

My Baby. Six years old. I just realized that this will probably be the last photo with all his darling pearly whites. We will soon loose that cute little boy look as he changes into an alien. :-)
Here are few Jake moments this past week:

Monday, Jake went to a friends house to go on a "hike" with other kids in the neighborhood. I dropped him off at three with his backpack, water bottle and snacks. I assumed he was under parental supervision since the boys' mother called to ask if Jake wanted to come. I was apparently wrong.

At 5:40, however, I received a call from 13-year-old Spencer. "Sister W.? Are you missing Jake?"
Me: "No. He's hiking with Dustin."
Spencer: "No. He is walking up and down the street. He's pretty freaked out."
Me: (Oh brother.) "Ok, can you sit with him? I will be up in a minute."

We live at the bottom of hills..after hills...after hills. I hopped in the car to go rescue my child. As I am driving up the hill, I come across the "hiking group." In a panic (that hit when they saw me, not before) "WE CAN'T FIND JAKE!"
Me: "Yes, I know. What happened?"
Them: "We don't know!!!"
Me: (You brats... you lost my baby.) "Well, I know where he is. Thanks for looking." (Said sarcastically, of course.)

So I continue to drive up the hill. As I crested the hill (about 20 feet from the search/resuce party) I found Jake sitting on a neighbor's lawn. SOBBING. It was a tragic mothering moment. Thankfully Spencer and Braxton were sitting with Jake trying to comfort him.

Come to find out, the hikers went in search of bears. Jake got pretty freaked out (largly in part by our "almost" bear encounter in Montana..see July blog) and left (first scouting mistake) the hiking group. He walked back down the street to Dustin's house. The mom told Jake the bear hunt wasn't real. So, he left civilization, heading into the "wilderness" to find the hikers. He couldn't, however, locate the group (thank the hills. If there was no hill, they would have easily found each other.) because they were down on the hill and he was up on the hill. Thankfully he had his backpack in case he got stuck in the "wilderness."

Aparently, we have a few scouting techniques to cover before our next adventure on the streets of PG.


We were talking about boyfriends/girlfriends. Jake informed us that he WILL NOT be getting a girlfriend for a long, long time. Not until he is seven. Great. Can't wait.
We had Parent/Teacher Conferences a few weeks ago. The second I sat down, Mrs. G handed me his packet of papers he has finished. I thanked her and noticed a yellow sticky note.

"Pushes in Line."

"What's this?" I ask.
"Oh, Jake has a problem with that."
And you needed a sticky note to tell me???
So now we have another problem to address. I guess it could be worse, "Swears in class", Wets his pants..."
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Craig Lifferth said...

Jake's hair looks very red in the first shot. The bear hike didn't go so well huh? Daren can show Jake the ropes of scouting because he loves it that much.

Crazy Lifferths said...

Cute photo shoots with the kids! Even though he loves to dress like Napoleon most of the time, he LOVES to take photos...remind you of anyone?! (No, not me....his uncle also known as Cupid!) You know, my husband become an eagle scout at 14, so that is pretty much the most impressive in the family, I bet he could help Jake out! And we were just talking about the Montana "bear" encounter. Do you think the freaking out part set in when his own Mother DASHED up the hill and left all her chldren, "every man for himself" style?! HAHAHA!!!

Craig Lifferth said...

Thats right your husband was also an eagle scout at the age of 14. Have you seen the picture we have of him when he received it? Yea I do! One word will describe the picture, Dork! Yup him standing in front of the American Flag, with his scout scarf over his shoulder and his smile. If you forgot about that picture I can send it to ya. Even Scott will admit the photo isn't his best.

Zachary said...

Well the yellow note could have said: "Picks nose and wipes on others", "Eats paste...and enjoys it", "Kicks puppies", or "Blackmails teacher with racy photographs"

Jake is a good kid. He has good parents.

Smiley Family said...

Did you call back the other mom and talk to her about the lack of parental supervision? I would have been a bit irritated. The photos are great by the way. Priceless.