Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I am a Failure...

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
Baron Thomas Babington Macauley, English historian and statesman (1800-1859)

I have a confession...I apparently don't have any character. I heard a quote back in high school that has determined my definition of character:
"Character is when you complete the motion long after the emotion has past." Or something like that. So basically, that means when you resolve to do (or not to do) something in the heat of the moment - you will carry out (if you have character) your resolve long after your emotion has past.

I didn't do that...


About a month ago I visited Walmart at about 3 pm. I list of things went wrong: They didn't have cilantro (I needed cilantro for dinner...who doesn't have cilantro???) Then, I went to purchase some fray check. Guess what? They didn't have that either. They were out of my favorite wipes. They didn't have black nylons. AND their lettuce was wilted. Getting irritated....and then I saw THE LINE!!!!
"Nice Jen" disappeared into mean, angry, irritated Jen. Not a Jen I am proud of. I started my timer....click, click, click. 17...17 long minutes past until I was able to put my groceries on the belt. Baby is crying and toddler NEEDS candy. I got the groceries loaded and then it hit me - I FORGOT MY WALLET IN THE CAR!!


Granted - that part my was fault. I told the checker my problem and he assured me that I could write a check. Great. Phew.

Except that wasn't the case. They called a supervisor who informed me that I could not write a check without identification. So, I had to lug my girls out to the car (it was snowing) and come back in. Wait in line again and pay. A few mean swear words raced through my brain.

So I was done - done with Walmart FOREVER...

Or so I thought. This is where the character part comes in.
I had withdrawals. As much as I hate that place - I needed it! I can't buy diapers, cleaners, laundry soap, Famous Dave's BBQ Sauce (3.45 compared to 2.09...) at any grocery store without paying far more then necessary.

Last night was the crowning test of character. I went to dinner with some friends. Jeff called me to ask if I would stop by an buy a humidifier. (He is DYING of a cold - not sure he will make it, but that's another blog.) I thought of stopping at all the places I was passing - Kohls, Target, Sears...and Walmart. No one would know that I went there...

So I did. And I got a few extra things, including my favorite BBQ sauce.

So, I don't have any character. But I saved a buck. So sue me.

8 comments:

Zachary said...

It appears that Character does have a price...$1.

No worries Jen...Wal-Mart, the behemoth that it is, has its claws in all our lives.

You are still Aces in my book! Even if you are weak;)

KIDDING!!

Rachel said...

Sooooooo funny!
We've all been there. I've sworn off Wal-Mart about a million times.
Sure they're destroying the small business owners of America, but they're saving me SO MUCH MONEY! Regardless of their horrible lines and totally incompetent employees, nobody can beat those "Everyday low prices."

Great post!

Mark Nott said...

I've got some complaints about that place too, but we have a Sam's Club membership... I tell myself they are not connected in any way

The Carter Family: said...

Oh, man...I would be hating Walmart for a long time if I were you-however with all things we have to learn to forgive and forget and not harbor ill resentment. I am glad that you finally forgave them and gave them some of your hard-earned money. Now you are free from carrying such negative feelings and now that you forgave them you can keep on going back. Again and again! Good for you!! (I'm impressed that you held out for so long in the first place-I don't have any choices here-it's Walmart or a grocery store-they don't even compare!!)

Craig Lifferth said...

I knew you would come back to Brother and Sister Walmart! I just knew it! Jeff is still sick. Guess what I came home to do my laundry and a little band practice, and guess who is sick? Dad, he is blowing it way out of proportion. Anyways, welcome back to the Walmart club. Love ya...

rsheedy said...

I, too, believe Walmart is evil. Especially lately; it seems like they only have three "manned" checkouts, and they are all express lanes. You're totally forced to use the self-checkout, which is a nightmare when you're buying a lot of crap. Ugh.

So, I heard a rumor that you want to access Becca's blog. Send me an email (rachaelsheedy at gmail.com), and I'll hook ya up! :)

Monica Lifferth said...

I too hate Walmart but go there anyway. It is the only place in the world that can take a good day and turn it into crap.

Monica Lifferth said...

Speaking of the devil (walmart), I just got back from there. While looking for the unfound, I remembered once looking for popcorn kernels and couldn't find them anywhere. I asked one "associate", she didn't know. I asked another who asked another who informed me they no longer carry popcorn kernels. What?! Needless to say, I found it on my own.

Sorry for the high jack.