Grandma Lifferth has lived in a rest home for a few years. Recently, she had a stroke and is struggling right now. Our family is preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. Being how she has Alzheimers, the best might just be the worst.
I went on Saturday to visit her, thinking that it might be the last time I see her. Even as sick as she is, she was still beautiful. I could hear her gentle laugh in my head and visualize her ducking her head in embarrasment. She was a pillar of strength in her life. I was touched as I watched her faithful children render sweet acts of service to her worn-out body. I thought back on all the times she selflessly served others and realized how blessed she is to reap her rewards of years and years of service. I truely believe she is the MOST Christlike person I know - she emulated love, humility and integrity in all she did. I have NEVER heard her say an unkind thing about anyone. She is a beautful person, both inside and out.
I brought Adalyn to capture a lasting "fourth generation" photo. Grandma had been unresponsive all day, but woke to see Adalyn near her face. She muttered a hello and smiled for several minutes at Adalyn. Addy placed a tiny little hand on Grandma's delicate hand and left it there for several minutes. It felt so peaceful in the room - as if Adalyn was receiving some communication from Grandma, which I believe she was. I am saddened to know that Adalyn will never know Grandma as she once was - but only from stories and pictures about this remarkable woman. I am so blessed to experience this touching moment.
I went on Saturday to visit her, thinking that it might be the last time I see her. Even as sick as she is, she was still beautiful. I could hear her gentle laugh in my head and visualize her ducking her head in embarrasment. She was a pillar of strength in her life. I was touched as I watched her faithful children render sweet acts of service to her worn-out body. I thought back on all the times she selflessly served others and realized how blessed she is to reap her rewards of years and years of service. I truely believe she is the MOST Christlike person I know - she emulated love, humility and integrity in all she did. I have NEVER heard her say an unkind thing about anyone. She is a beautful person, both inside and out.
I brought Adalyn to capture a lasting "fourth generation" photo. Grandma had been unresponsive all day, but woke to see Adalyn near her face. She muttered a hello and smiled for several minutes at Adalyn. Addy placed a tiny little hand on Grandma's delicate hand and left it there for several minutes. It felt so peaceful in the room - as if Adalyn was receiving some communication from Grandma, which I believe she was. I am saddened to know that Adalyn will never know Grandma as she once was - but only from stories and pictures about this remarkable woman. I am so blessed to experience this touching moment.


5 comments:
Jen you totally made me cry. What a wonderful tribute! And the pictures are priceless! I so wish I was there to give Grandma one more hug. Maybe if she can hold on until November 23?
Thank you for the touching words about Grandma. I agree whole heartedly!
Beautiful pictures Jen, really they are priceless. It's good to see a post from you again.
oh,...those pictures made me cry also! It is so sad to see grandma like that but so touching to see a fourth-generation photo. I too, hope that she will still be here when I am up there on the 20th! Thanks for the wonderful tribute-it was very touching to read!
Very sweet photos. I was so glad that I got to do a four generation picture at her birthday celebration. Thank you for your thoughts about our sweet grandma.
Wow-those pictures are so beautiful and your tribute was very nice. It's neat to read so many tributes to grandma. They are all so true and it just goes to show what an amazing woman she is!
Post a Comment