Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Back to School


We moved in with my parents starting the end of August. I had one very agitated eight year old, a nervous 5 year old and happy three year old (un-phased by the whole transition!) So I was MORE THAN READY for school to start and develop a routine for my oldest. He certainly needed it! (And so did I!) For the first time in my entire adult life, I felt absolutely NO sadness when school starts. (Which is very abnormal for me!)

But with the move, we were now going to attend a brand new school. When you have attended one school for more than half your life, you can expect to be nervous! We went over the "what if's" several times. Finally the big day arrived!

My heart filled with joy as I watched my sweet baby boy walk SO bravely up the sidewalk into a new school where he knew no one. Oh, I was proud. I knew how hard it was for him.

When I went to pick him up, traffic was a mess. I didn't know the rules or systems either! I arrived about 8 minutes before the bell. I quickly parked and tried to find him - but I was too late. By the time I finally found him, he was in tears. I felt terrible. We quickly went over the pick-up routine and settled all fears. School became easier as the days went on and now he already has friends and knows the "ins and outs" of the school.

Ya Ya didn't start until the next week. She's my normal worrywart, but for some reason, she wasn't even scared. She was more scared she would forget the class room routine (as explained later) that she went over the steps daily with me. Both so she wouldn't forget and I wouldn't forget to remind her!

The day finally came! My little scheduler changed her hairstyle at the last minute (which I thought was so spontaneous of her!) And she looked beautiful.

We made it school WELL before we needed to (she worried the entire ride over that we would be late!) But we had plenty of time to take photos. She was so excited that I couldn't even cry. I sure wanted to - I HATE dropping off my babies the first day. Whether they are in Kindergarten or Third Grade!
We followed the routine precicely. Step 1: Hang up the backpack.
Step 2: wash our hands
Step 3: Sit on the carpet.
I loved the idea a fellow cousin gave me, so we hurried to the florist to purchase a flower to celebrate Ya Ya's first day. Plan didn't quite go over as well as I thought! I really thought she would be so exicted, but instead she was ultra-embarrassed that she was the only one getting flowers. Fine with Addy - she loves pink and got to keep the flower she picked out!
Successful first day, I'd say!

5 comments:

Smiley Family said...

Cute kids! Crazy that you now have two kids in school. So, will your kids have to switch schools half-way through the year?

Monica Lifferth said...

Ya ya is in school?! Wow, crazy. She looked darling for her first day. And Jake looks so grown up!

Ale said...

OMG Jake is soooo big now and Ya Ya for sure looked beautiful wearing the "chosen" outfit. I for sure love your children

whitney said...

Ahhh, I can't believe your kiddos are that old! They're just so adorable and all grown up!

Craig Lifferth said...

I would watch out for that Kade kid sitting behind Yaya. I see those types come into my work all the time. I'm sure I'll be seeing him at Heritage in a few years.