Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The Family Friendly Hike

We decided to take a family hike last Saturday evening to the letter above our house. (I'm trying to be tricky so people can't figure out where I live based on my blog. Is it working?) We have never actually been to this location, but I've heard from most people that it is an easy 30 minutes stroll; perfectly suited for children. It can be a little steep, but only for a moment.

We gathered some water, a couple of snacks and a cell phone and headed up the trail. Jake's little friend came with us too. We arrived at the trailhead, which is literally up the road we live on, and started up the trail. I was in the rear, directing children, while scoutmaster Jeff lead the way. Our first mistake was when Jeff said, "which trail do you think it is?"
I replied, "I heard it is a little steep, so I assume this way (meaning up) but we should head this way, (meaning left) because that's where "the letter" is. Now, I've been on several hikes with Jeff. and unless we are with a group, Jeff has an uncanny ability to get us lost. Not lost like call a ranger lost, but off on a trail that takes us on the most difficult and unconventional route. (Remember Lone Peak Scott and Leann? Yeah, that's what I am talking about.)

So, up, up, up we went! With four children, I might add. At several points I thought, this is WAY to steep to take children, but she DID say it was a little steep!

We finally made our way to this:



Amazing, isn't it? This is in our own backyard! Can you see the waterfall?Beautiful.


We were kind of in a time crunch, as you can see by the lighting. So I tried to hurry things along. Two year olds, on the other hand, don't like to be hurried along! Addy stopped to pick up rocks every few minutes.

All of a sudden, the trail ended! I could see "the letter", but there were no trails leading to it. Now, normal people would have turned around. Oh no, not my husband. He started leading us to "the letter"over bushes, rocks, ledges and grasses. The children were slow due to the rough terrain. They were loving it. I, however, noticed the sun starting to descend over the mountains. I was edging them along. Jake was doing his best to hurry. But his friend, oh my goodness! HE WAS SO SLOW! I didn't want Juliana to hurry. She's a tad uncoordinated. She trips. A LOT. I happen to be the lucky one to hold her hand during the hike. I bet she set a record for the most trips. The funny thing is, she just keeps chatting despite the fact she falls every second!


Anyway, light is almost gone and we still had three ravines to go. They started to get steeper and steeper. And Jake's friend walked slower and slower.

Jeff went ahead to "find a trail" leaving me with three of the four children. I led them over one ravine and I was done. Jeff finally came back. We had a rather heated discussion during which I was told to "enjoy the adventure." I told him that HE can enjoy the adventure when we have to call the firefighters to come rescue us!!

We decided to forgo the destination and head down the mountain to the trail. (The one Jeff found SEVERAL feet below us). The sun was now gone and we were walking with very little light. We finally got onto the trail and booked it down to the car with no light left to spare.
Sure, it WAS an adventure. But one that I would prefer to take in the light and on the trail that we are actually supposed to be on! Once at the bottom, I realized that the "steep" part our friend told us about was certainly NOT steep. (At least compared to what we actually just walked.) And what was supposed to take us 30 minutes, took us over two hours! Next time, wait. There probably won't be a next time!



7 comments:

rsheedy said...

Looks like you got some gorgeous views, even if you didn't reach your destination! I think anyone who decides to hike with children is a very brave soul indeed.

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Seriously, Jen---consider this blog your journalism career. Someday you could be a Dave Barry or Bill Bryson and publish your everyday life in a column or book format!! You have a gift for writing and making people laugh, lady! LOVE it!

All About M.E.('s) said...

The good thing about bad situations is that they make for good blog entries and really, that is what it is all about!
I had to laugh about poor Juliana tripping a lot. Madi does the same thing when she falls, she just gets up like nothing happened and keeps chatting away. I wish I could act so nonchalant when I fall. Maybe I'll try it next time...
Anyway, cute/funny post, as usual!

whitney said...

You poor thing! I was pretty impressed that you attempted the hike in the first time. It's not a particularly difficult hike, but I could see it being a little rough with kiddos so young. I know exactly the "trail" you're talking about...spencer and I have almost accidentally gone on it more than once and it is so steep! At least it makes for a fabulous blog post, right?

The Carter Family: said...

Once again, FUNNY post!! I too have a daughter (Kasia) that trips ALL the time (must be a Lifferth thing?!) Good thing search and rescue didn't have to be called!!

Smiley Family said...

I am seriously surprised (with how outdoorsy you are) that that was your first attempt to the "letter". I have also hiked down a mountain in the dark and it is not fun!

P.S. So glad to see you posting again!

Gretch said...

What a great family adventure-one to tell for years to come! LOL! Hilarious-to those of us that did not have to hike WITH KIDS in the DARK! LOL! Glad you made it back.