Ok. Ok. So I didn't know it! I only found out when Juliana's playgroup went for a field trip to visit the local fire department during their open house, complete with Air Medic, ambulance and real, live firefighters! The children had the opportunity to crawl through a simulator. While watching my oh-so-calm children crawl through a house filled with smoke, I started chatting with the firefighter:

"This is so great because the children learn what to do in case of a real fire. Where is your meeting place?"
Me: "Umm, the mailbox?"
Firefighter: "WHAT? You don't have a meeting place? Even my 12 month old knows where our meeting place is! She can even get out of the house by herself if the fire alarm goes off!"
Me: (Thinking) 'Why is your child left alone to get out of a house when a fire alarm goes off?'
(Now talking) "Well, I guess I haven't thought much about it."
Firefighter: "Well, you know, 74% off all injuries...."
ok, ok I got it.
So I went home to develop a fire safety plan. I launched it Monday evening.
We started talking about ways to prevent fires. Then I explained what to do in the event of a fire. Jake needed a little more repetition.
Me: "Jake, what is the first thing you do when you hear the fire alarm?"
Jake: "I run upstairs and go out the door!!!"
Me: "No. You FIND YOUR SISTER!" (They sleep in the same room. I could totally see him leaving his sister to escape by her sweet little self. "Again, what is the first thing you do when you hear the fire alarm?"
Jake: " I get up and run out the basement door!!!!"
So, we had some work to do. I then announced that we would be having a fire drill. There was no fire, but we were going to pretend there was and escape out the door and meet at the mailbox. This caused mass hysteria!
"I don't want my house to be FIRED!"
"No mom! NO! I don't remember what to do!"
We preceded with the plan despite the mass hysteria. The first plan took place at "dinner." That drill went quite well. We exited the main floor on our hands and knees (all children accounted for) and met at the mailbox.
Second drill, not so well. This was to take place while sleeping.
"Ok guys, everyone to their rooms and practice the drill as we discussed. Jake, don't forget your sister!"
Jake: "Wait, wait. I don't remember what to do!"
Juliana: "No! NO! NO! I don't want to be fired! Will we ever have a fire? Why are we doing this??" Her crying just kept getting louder and louder and louder.
Adalyn: "I don't want to go night night!"
So we agreed that Jeff would sit on the stairs during the drill to help those people that just might need assistance. (Can you figure out who that might be?)
Addy and I headed up to take our places. We waited for a couple of minutes and then the fire alarm went off!
I quickly grabbed Addy and we headed out the door. As I neared the stairs, I could hear Juliana screaming as she ran to the back door. All our previous training was forgotten as they booked it out the door and to the mailbox. I met a hysterical Juliana outside and we headed back indoors to discuss our experiences.
After I calmed my hysterical daughter down, we talked about what we can improve on for the next drill.
Juliana screamed, "No! Not another drill!" As she collapsed on the couch, she said, "I can't talk about this any more!" Apparently TWO fire drills a night are too much for some people.
"I think I handle earthquakes a lot better than fires, " says Jake.
Operation Fire Drill was a huge success, don't you think??

btw - this photo was taken moments before we went to the dentist. And no, we didn't have any cavities! So eat away, my daughter, eat away!
5 comments:
Oh my gosh, that is hysterical! You always have the best stories.
Never a dull moment...never a dull moment...sounds exciting! I guess I should get on that situation too. Yea no cavities! We visit good ol Dr. Nance next month...yikes! I hope we pass :)
Your post always make laugh out loud for real, Jen.
Yeah...we so don't have a plan either. Unless sending your husband in to rescue all three children counts as a plan?...
We did talk about where to meet in case of a fire a few weeks ago (courtesy of Treyton's homework!) however we did NOT practice fire drills...rather than discourage me, your post actually motivated me! Wish me luck!! (Super funny by the way!!!)
I love this story. Everytime I read it or think about it, it makes
me laugh.....
Post a Comment