Friday, June 10, 2011

Recorder Concert

I've been wanting my children to be musically inclined for a long time - I just haven't enrolled them in any music lessons yet! (Always an excuse...) The 3rd graders have the opportunity to learn how to play the recorder. Now THAT is one job that doesn't get paid enough, let me tell you. I listened to about 150 children play that instrument for 30 minutes and my head was ringing. I have a new appreciation for music teachers and an even greater appreciation for my own job - which, by the way, DOESN'T include instruments. Or 3rd graders.


Anyway, Jake joined the class half way through the school year. He was apparently supposed to practice, but the parent-child communication isn't stellar at the moment. In fact, I didn't know he even played the recorder until a couple of weeks before the concert when he gave us all a personal preview to what musical elation lie ahead.

I arrived early to the annual 3rd grade recorder concert (I wrote the wrong time down) and secured front row seats. Might be the first time ever!

He did a marvelous job. Cute boy too, although I did noticed half way through the concert that he was FAKING IT!!!! Check out his hands here:
He is using the wrong hands! HA HA! I can't blame him for not knowing the in's and out's of the recorder- he arrived half way through the year AND he never practiced (yeah, mother is not to blame here...). Don't get me wrong - he still knew the basics like "Hot Cross Buns" but I am pretty sure that "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" isn't in his repertoire. I'm still proud - he's my boy and I sure love him.
And because she is so stinkin cute, I had to add her and her sister...

No comments: