Needless to say, I work all the time so I think I deserve a day of rest. The rest of the family does their best, but still requires my assistance in everything. Day started out the evening before with a proclamation by me: "I will be sleeping in tomorrow. Don't wake me up." Worked fine until Jeff couldn't find the instant waffle mix! (I know! The tragedy!) That would be because I don't use a mix - I home make it. Therefore, waffles were out. Eggs ok? Sure whatever. Just let me sleep. Hubby pulled through and made homemade waffles. He gets a point.
Then I spent the morning cleaning up and bathing children while he worked on his talk. I kept getting more bitter, I mean, WHY have this day if I am still doing everything? That's exactly my point - Mother's Day is too anti-climatic.
We headed off to church. I was late (and still had to speak) because baby was hungry RIGHT before we left.) I made it to church before the sacrament and realized - I forgot my talk! AHH! So I rushed home to grab it. Talk about stress! My sweet friend Susan came to help me watch the children while we spoke. She came prepared with treats, toys and coloring books - she's pretty much awesome. Anyway, we made it through that. I headed home with a crying baby and took a much needed nap.
My dad and brother's showed up to fix Karalee and I dinner (Mimi was in Texas with her own mother): delicious BBQ Chicken. Anything is better when you don't have to cook!

Things got better from that point on (Papa did the dishes). Then the gifts came: (the best part!) Jeff presented me with my very own wheat grinder. And I was giddy! (Now I know I am getting old!) Even the children love it! (Guess the best way to get over being cranky is give me gifts!)And I think I have found that "perfect" whole-wheat bread recipe. Boy, it is delicious. There is something so grounding (is that a word?) about making your own bread. It makes the hustle of life feel a little slower when there is homemade bread in the oven.
And the very best part of Mother's Day is the homemade gifts. Sweet Ya Ya made this for me. I can't bring myself to use it - so I display it. So sweet.
And this little one makes life so enjoyable.
You know, Mother's Day is what I make of it! If I don't work, someone else will! Ah-ha! I finally figured it out. Rather than mope around because I am working, I'm just going to sit there and enjoy my day with my sweet little family. From now on, that's the way it goes around here. At least on Mother's Day.
1 comment:
Haha! Thanks for the laughs. Don't tell Brian, but Mother's Day was 'eh' this year - actually I think he already knows that. Anyway, a wheat grinder!! So jealous. That has been on my wish list for a LONG time. Happy baking!
Post a Comment