Wednesday, May 12, 2010

The Glow Play

Let me start at the very beginning (a VERY good place to start!)

It was fall; the start of another school year. Mrs. L had a list of positions within the classroom that needed filled with happy volunteers. The only option open was "Music Leader." This particular position was, for the previous year, a simple, half-hour-a-week commitment. Basically, I thought, I would go in, bang a few sticks together, call it rhythm and go about my day.

HA! Not. Quite. So. Apparently (and it would have been wonderful to have known this before the school year) the BEEP grade puts on a class play. A musical, to be exact. Pair that with a high strung teacher and it spelled STRESS. We started learning all the songs in January and started rehearsing in March. Mrs. L thinks Jake is the smartest in the class (well, she might not have said that exactly :)..) and appointed him as Flier, the lead role. Normally, I would have bragged all about that, except, that meant more effort from me- the producer!


The play is about a little firefly that was blown away by the wind when he was hatched. He didn't know what his job in the world was. He met a ladybug that shows him that everyone has a special job. He finally finds out what his special job is at the very end. It's a cute play with a cute message.
It was HOURS, and HOURS and HOURS of work. I ended up taking Addy to most of the practices. By the time we performed, she knew every single song! It is so cute to watch her coloring while singing, "Everybody's Got a Place!" Jake did absolutely amazing. I am so impressed that he memorized that entire play. Maybe he IS the smartest in the class! :)

I have tried to post the video. It must be too long. I'll try breaking it up just in case you want to see it! ;)

5 comments:

whitney said...

Goodness, what a HUGE job! What a relief it's all over, I'm sure! Jake is such a little doll in his costume.

Smiley Family said...

Good for you for taking the position! I would have turned and ran - music is NOT my thing!! Glad it all turned out well. You deserve a medal...or a pedicure or facial or massage!

The Gorringes said...

Nice going! I only pick awesome people to be my life long friends and this just shows that you should be top of the list! I am proud of YOU and JAKE! Miss you guys and hope to see you soon!

Gretch said...

Wow- you are one busy lady! I wish I could have seen it, I'm sure it was GREAT! And I'm also sure Jake IS the smartest in the class!! Way to go Jen!!

Zachary said...

As a witness of the final product, I can verify that it turned out very impressive! Way to go Jake! Way to go Jen!

Ha ha ha..."bang a couple sticks together and call it rhythym."

I am going to be quoting that one all day today.