Sunday, November 15, 2009

Stylish Jake

When I heard I was having a boy, I basically envisioned a well kept, stylish boy; a Gap commercial. Instead, I got the DI version of bad fashion. We pretty much argue daily about what to wear.
I've gotten lots of advice:

"Just pick the outfit and don't take no for an answer." (Ahem, they have never dealt with this child.)

"Only buy clothes that you both agree on and he'll wear those." (Even if he DOES agree, he can, and always does, go back on his word. Something that was cool, suddenly becomes hideous.)

"Only buy things that you want him to wear." (These people don't have a mother that purchases horrid cartoon shirts, then grins at me while giving them to my child.)
You get my point. The boy can't dress nice. I understand that it is a direct reflection on his mother, but just note that his mother tries. Very, very hard.



So that's why it was so very, very hysterical when he opened his fortune cookie a couple of weeks ago:

"You will make a name for yourself in the fashion industry."

I really hope I'm not around to find out what name that's going to be!

10 comments:

The Blomquist Bunch said...

Hahahaha! That is SO what we've got goin' on over here, too. Kyle told us last week he "doesn't like shirts with collars, or buttons, or stripes." Um, okaaaaay. Loved reading that you've got an anti-fashionista, too. Bless the hearts of cartoon character shirts everywhere :)

Smiley Family said...

That is FUNNY! I think it is kinda crazy that he is so adamant about what he wears - my kids could care less.

Gretch said...

HILARIOUS! Seriously cracking up! I love the up close face shot of Jake--it totally looks like an Uncle Karl face.

What a great kid with a lot of fashion sense. Ha ha ha!

whitney said...

Oh honey, I hear ya! Ezra has an opinion on EVERYTHING, especially when it comes to clothes. He's boycotted all buttons (except for on Sunday) and it's taken forever to get him to wear something other than shorts and flip-flops.

For what it's worth, Jake is still absolutely adorable.

Monica Lifferth said...

Oh, I love that your back at this blog thing. Maybe you will inspire me to do the same? Probably not.

Jake is a hoot and that fortune is spot on. You never know! :)

The Carter Family: said...

I just LoVe to read your blog! You always have the greatest stories-and this one is right up there with them!! Good luck raising the next fashionista!! I don't know what that is like because my kids MAKE me pick out their clothes for them!!

rsheedy said...

How funny!! And I was going to say the same thing as Gretchen...the close up shot looks SO MUCH like your dad! What a great kid.

All About M.E.('s) said...

That fortune is classic! Love it. I think every parent struggles with kids and clothes or at least will at some point. Madi's big thing is that she hates to wear jeans. Bad news, since that is pretty much all she has with a couple of exceptions. SOme days she will wear them and some days she throws BIG fits. Oh the joys....
Luckily, he is one handsome and charming boy, so I'm sure he looks cute in whatever he isw wearing.

patshala said...

Hey Jen, Can you email me at splishsplash9@hotmail.com? I can't find your email address and I had some questions for you. Thanks! And I think you are doing an amazing job keeping Jake looking nice, despite his preferences.

Nathan and Esther said...

that is sooo funny!