Sunday, March 01, 2009

I think I need an Advil...

Wow. What a weekend.

Jeff (and Craig) were so nice to drive my brother and sister-in-law's stuff down to their new home 12 hours away. He left me for the weekend. It wasn't a big deal - I've done it before. We would have a nice, quiet weekend watching movies, eating popcorn and attending the German Dinner.

All hell broke loose Friday night. I stayed up late digi-scrapping (the first time for weeks) then I went downstairs to change the laundry and check on the children.

I entered the laundry room: Squish. Squish, Squish, Squish. S*&T.

I had a major leak from the washer. It was now 1:00 in the morning. The very last thing I wanted to do was deal with a flood. So, I put a few towels down, stomped around a bit and went to bed hoping the flood fairies would take care of it.

When I awoke in the morning....the water was still there. (No fairy?) I got out the shop vac and spent the entire morning praying it wasn't as bad as I feared.

Then I noticed the clock: 12:50? Crap. I had to speak at a baptism at 1:00! I was late, frazzled and embarrassed because I was so late.

Dad called because we were riding to the German Dinner together. I asked if he wouldn't mind stopping by because the washer leaked. He was nice enough to come on up...and sure enough, it was as bad as I feared. The entire floor had to come up. It wasn't a "quick" task as I had promised. Now, with the help of the neighbor's fans, it is drying out. This is exactly the home improvement project I was hoping to accomplish this month. (Sarcasm.)

The bright side of Saturday was the German Dinner - the annual dinner honoring our incredible heritage. I always leave the dinner very thankful for the family I was born into, as well as my legacy my Great-Grandparents left us as they moved to America. This year was no different. The food was great, the program great and the company is always great. Sadly, I took no photos of the actual dinner - I was too busy chatting. But I did ask Cousin Brian to take this photo of a couple of cousins (I have over 100).

He got yelled at by his loving wife because he didn't frame us quite right (notice the head room?). After his chastisement, he took another photo, but I was laughing too hard. Apparently, he isn't the artsty type! (HA HA!)

One cool addition to the German Dinner was stopping by Uncle Art's home to view his increidble village in his garage. He has (to my memory) over 100 houses, two trains and a pirate ship! Amazing!
Here are some fellow German's looking with Uncle Art at Uncle Art's photos of his car collection. What a guy - he totally reminds me of my grandpa.
At one point, my camera was missing. I found it and I found a fellow German cousin modeling. He ought to stick with welding...he's better at that.Onto my weekend from you know where...

Sunday morning was nice and peaceful until around 12:00. I was determined to be on time to church today. I had all the children looking charming and put together (if you call white socks with black pants put together..I didn't care. Just get your shoes on for the MILLIONTH time!) I was yelling at Jake to listen and get his shoes. Instead, he starts jumping on my bed with Addy right next to him.

Me: "Jake, get your shoes!"
Jake: Jump, jump, jump....

Repeat..
Repeat...
Me: Yelling and threatening
Jake: ignoring and Jumping.

Then, KA-Boom...

Adalyn fell to the ground. I had my "told ya so" face on and rush around getting ready. Adalyn cried and cried to be held, but I was just too busy. (Stike 1 against me.)

We finally made it to church on time and that's when I realized things weren't quite right. She cried and whimpered and held her arm, "Arm hurts Mommy" throughout all of the meeting.

I had "the feeling". So when I took her to nursery, I asked the ER nurse what she thought. She said that those babies can't fake it and if they say it hurts, you need to believe them. (Take away strike 1 - I listened!)

So, again, I am on my own faced with yet another crisis! I called my Dad, who miraculously was near my house. We went to Urgent Care and found that yes, Adalyn had broken her arm. And - get this - she had strep throat! When it rains, it pours.
(It's hard to see, but the second arm shot has the uneven line near the wrist.)
I find it interesting that both my girls broke their leg/arm three weeks before their 2nd birthday. Both girls were doing something they shouldn't have (and, ok, were unattended) and both have pink cast (a given, I guess.) Do you see a pattern?? Keep a close watch that 23rd month - it's a doosy.

I was happy when Jeff arrived home at 7 pm. It's his turn to deal with the drama.


Luckily, the rest of the month wasn't like this past weekend.
I am teaching Jake piano lessons. Practicing is difficult for him. He can't understand how 15 minutes can fly by in front of a TV, but take an enternity in front of a piano.
Adalyn before the broken arm at the park.
Jake lost his first tooth this week! It was hanging by a thread when I took this photo. He lost it sometime during the day. The bad news was he couldn't remember when and he couldn't remember where. Nor do we have the tooth. We wrote a note to the tooth fairy and she honored it. Juliana was terrified that a fairy was coming in her room. I had to write another note to leave upstairs instructing that NO FAIRY'S were allowed downstairs.

I took the childre to the Draper Temple Open House. Jeff had to bail out at the last moment due to work. I thought I could handle all the children. I also thought it would be a spiritual experience. Wrong on both accounts.

Adalyn lost it when she saw the "HOT TUB in Jesus's House." The entire tour she screamed, HOT TUB over and over. I scanned for an exit, but couldn't find one. I ended up hauling her through with her under my arm like a football. All Jake and Juliana were interested in were the cookies at the end of the tour. I think they asked me where the cookies were as we entered every room. I was exhausted and ready to get out 5 minutes into it. Learn from my mistake - let me take your kids while YOU tour the temple...
And finally, Jake participated in the storytelling competition. He made it through the classroom and grade competition and ended in the school-wide competition. He didn't win but sure thought he ought to...

"Mom? If you were a judge, would you have voted for me?"
"You bet Jake, you are my son - I always vote for you!"
"Good, Well, I would have gotten ONE vote!"

I was sure proud of him!


This is the grade-level competition video. It's about 2 minutes long.

13 comments:

Crazy Lifferths said...

First of all, we REALLY appreciate you allowing Jeff to come down to Arizona. I don't know what he told you, but we had a wonderful time golfing, swimming, eating out, and coming up with great business ideas.

Second, Jake is a really good public speaker!! I guess all of the Family Home Evening Director responsibilities we gave him have paid off. Next up, "Hi, I'm Jake Wright and vote for me to be your new Student Body President!"

Third, I have to laugh about the YaYa being scared about the tooth fairy. If you think about it, it is kind of creepy that someone with wings and glitter travels to your room to pick up a tooth AND gives you money in return!

Thank you for the update, your kind card, the Target gift certificate, and letting Jeff spend his weekend with us, he really helped us out a ton!

Smiley Family said...

Holy Cow! What a weekend! You seemed to have handled it all very well though - you were so happy when I saw you. Speaking of which, it was great seeing you at the German Dinner. Thanks for sharing my displeasure with Brian's photography skills ;)

Poor Addi!! Crazy that both girls broke a bone so close to their 2nd birthday. Has Jake ever broken anything?

Loved Jake's story. I didn't hear the competition, but I still think he should have won!

And I am surprised that Julianna is afraid of the tooth fairy. She is so girly, I'd think she'd be all for it!

Hey Jeff, Jen deserves a girl's night out!

rsheedy said...

Wow, I think you deserve something stronger than an advil, lol. A week-long vacation, maybe? I am totally cracking up over the "no fairies allowed" and the "hot tub" incidences. Priceless!!

J said...

WHEW! That is one crazy weekend!! Glad you survived...and the kids. :-)
So was it your new washer that leaked? Good thing your Dad was close by to come to the rescue.

I'm SO SAD I missed the German dinner! Yes, we do have an exceptional family! So you had to speak at another function?

I'm impressed you are teaching Jake piano-I hope you can keep that up. So Jake lost his first tooth. That is too cute that Juliana is afraid of the tooth fairy. Sorry the Temple dedication was a bust.

Poor Addi!!! Breaking her arm and strep! How sad! Give her a squeeze for me.

I LOVE Jake's story! Classic! Tell him I would have voted for him.

Yes, you need a little get away, perhaps somewhere north of you, say, Spokane! :-)

Kaila said...

I think I need an advil from just reading that! What a week. Maybe you should hand the kids over to Jeff and come out to Indiana...just a thought.

The Blomquist Bunch said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! sorry, i know that is terrible to laugh so hard, but lady, you have got some seriously excellent writing skills so things make me laugh (even when it's OBVIOUSLY NOT funny!!) what a crazy weekend! "hot tub in jesus' house" is an instant classic. (we also had a less-spiritual temple open house experience . . . )and hey, i waited almost three days before almost-two year old kyle got taken in for an x-ray, so you are an excellent mommy (plus you DID get to church on time . . .) I love your blog, Jen! And yes, there are not many pictures of me because I'm always taking the darn things---but I am bigger these days, just fyi :) still a nice enough person, though!!

Monica Lifferth said...

HOly! That is the crappiest weekend anyone has ever had! Kudos to you for surviving! We need a girls night out so you can recover. :)

whitney said...

That's definitely a swear word-worthy weekend in my book! You poor girl!

I loved the "hot tub in Jesus's house" line-I seriously laughed so hard!

Glad you had a good time at the German Dinner, I definitely missed going! It sounds like ya'll had a lot of fun (especially that weirdo who stole your camera-who was that guy, anyway? ;).

We all know where Jake got his storytelling skills! He's definitely got my vote!

The Carter Family: said...

Wow! I'm amazed you survived the weekend!! You definitely deserve an award or something!! Poor Adalyn for breaking her arm and poor you having to survive the trauma of x-rays, etc.!! Jake did a great job on storytelling! I still remember him telling a story at an FHE at the cabin-I was laughing the whole time-now he just needs to tell some stories at the retreat!

Zachary said...

Holy Crap. Jen...I love your family and the adventures you provide for all of us to enjoy. Thanks for taking one for the team...the very large team.

Amanda said...

I love reading your blog. You tell it like it is, and I like that!!! Sorry for the crazy weekend. My child thought that Jesus had a swimming pool in his house too.

Summer said...

Jen, I love it!!! See you do have quite a large following that doesn't include just myself and Scott! You'd better not stop blogging. Please let's do a girls night sometime...and I'm German, can I come to German dinner next year???

Crazy Lifferths said...

Okay, a month? What's the excuse this time?! I even moved and have two posts atleast on you! We would like an update since, you know, we don't live around you guys! Maybe you are taking the same position as Jake, "Do you miss us Jake?" "Well, kinda, kinda not!"