Saturday, September 03, 2011

First Week of Summer

Poor Juliana. Summer was kind of anticlimactic for this sweet girl! Silly Mom scheduled her adenoids out the Monday after school got out. Boy, she was nervous. We got to the surgical center where they gave her a darling "dress", some socks, a lion and a hat. And she hated the hat. She kept telling me that it "doesn't look good with this dress." Always a fashion statement, this girl!

After prepping us, they made me leave. Oh, that was hard! I knew they would take good care of my baby, but nothing can compare with the sick feeling in your stomach when you know you have to let the nurse take her away and you don't get to be there when she goes under.

During surgery, the doctor came to the waiting room and said we should remove her tonsils too! (I was totally unprepared for THAT! Luckily Karalee ran out to buy me some Popsicle's and Jello!)

I FINALLY got to see my sweet baby as we waited for her to wake up.


It didn't take long, and she certainly didn't make a peep. You could tell she didn't like the feeling she felt, but she didn't complain. In fact, let's just say I am so very, very grateful that it was THIS little girl who had surgery, not the OTHER little girl (if you know what I am saying!) Some people have a higher pain tolerance than others. Some people don't complain very much and some people are just generally easier to care for when sick than others. That being said, she was a stellar patient. Not a peep out of this girl. Even when she threw up. (Oh, that broke my heart!)

WARNING! You might not like this photo. But I don't care. I found it interesting. These were her tonsils. I personally didn't think they were that big, but what do I know. Well, I DO know that I paid a hefty sum for this surgery and I apparently needed to pay more after today!

We fed her some ice chips and jello and tried to make her comfortable.


It wasn't long before they let us go. I thought she would be excited to ride the wheelchair. I should have known she would be embarrassed!
When we got home, I made her rest. She wasn't happy with me. Come to find out, she wasn't a good patient at all! I had to keep dragging her off her bike and into the house every hour. I kept reminding her that she had surgery. Didn't stop her! She was awesome. So brave and happy, even in pain (and I could tell because she got a sad look in her eye. We stuck on that medicine so she wouldn't hurt.) After a week, she was better then new. No more snoring. No more tilled head at night and no more runny nose. In fact, about 6 days after the surgery, she came into the kitchen and said, "what is that discussing taste in my mouth? It tastes like boogers." I started laughing. Because her adenoids were at a 4, they blocked her nasal passage, thus the loud breathing and tilted head at night. Now removed, they opened up a whole new passage in her nose. I realized this was the first time she had ever experienced post-nasal drip! She's not a fan. Can't blame her.

So incredibly glad we did this. I don't know if she is, but she'll thank me someday. Meanwhile, I will just pray that she's my only girl who needs surgery. I don't think my wallet or my patience can handle the OTHER patient! If you know what I mean ;)

1 comment:

Craig Lifferth said...

She knows how to deal with pain, a lot like her father